Every Friday, The Verge publishes our flagship podcast, The Vergecast, where co-hosts Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn discuss the week in tech news with the reporters and editors covering the biggest stories.
This week on The Vergecast, Nilay and Dieter are joined by Verge managing editor Alex Cranz and senior reporter Alex Heath to discuss Facebook’s newest hardware endeavor: sunglasses with cameras on them. Will this new iteration of smart glasses stick around? Or are we overthinking it? The cast dives in.
Second half of the show focuses on next week’s Apple event. The crew discussed their predictions for the iPhone 13, a new Apple Watch, and other products we may see announced on September 14th.
There’s a whole lot more packed into the show — like Amazon’s first lineup of smart TVs — so listen here or in your preferred podcast player for the full discussion.
- Activists push to delay most high-profile climate summit since Paris agreement
- Microsoft gives up predicting when its US offices will fully reopen
- Facebook on your face
- Snapchat’s new AR features can identify the world around you
- Apple’s rumored AR/VR headset might rely on a nearby iPhone or Mac for processing
- Whoop’s new fitness tracker is better thanks to a battery breakthrough
- Apple’s iPhone 13 event will take place on September 14th
- New Apple MagSafe charger spotted in FCC alongside four new phones
- Apple’s car chief is heading to Ford
- Apple Watch exec takes over secretive car project
- Apple delays controversial child protection features after privacy outcry
- Amazon announces its first-ever lineup of smart TVs
- Amazon announces Fire TV Stick 4K Max — and yes that’s really the name
- Amazon Luna is expanding to Fire tablets and Chromebooks, and retro games are on the way
- Twitter takes on Facebook Groups with invite-only Communities
- How Twitter’s communities could bring context back
- The Gmail app takes calls now, too, because Google wants it to do everything
- The Series One Desk 27 is a $2,000 Google Meet machine that doubles as a laptop monitor
- Microsoft Start is a personalized news feed designed for Windows 11, mobile, and more
- Theranos’ greatest invention was Elizabeth Holmes